Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pediatric Reflexology

Working on children from infancy through the teen years is a great joy of mine at the office. Children respond remarkably well to a Reflexology session, and often the response is very fast.

I was giving a demonstration at a mom's group in Woburn once and one of the babies in the room had colic. The mother had tried everything with little to no success and the poor babe was really fussy. She offered him as my "model" to demonstrate a couple of gentle techniques on his little feet. In less than 60 seconds this little boy became very calm and quiet, in a few minutes he was fast asleep. His mother wanted to know what "magic button" I had pushed to help him calm down and stop fussing. I simply used gentle pressure over the solar plexus point and also worked the adrenal gland reflexes on his ears. See Reflexology for Children: Touch Solutions for Parents for tips on a relaxing routine.

In the United Kingdom news releases are clamoring over a 90,000 pound program to offer Reflexology to disruptive children in school. My response to this great program is an article titled Reflexology For Children With ADHD: Reflexologists Help Children With Behavior And Attention Disorders. When I attended the International Council of Reflexologists (ICR) conference in Amsterdam a few years ago I had the pleasure of hearing a speaker from Israel tell us about his successes with ADHD children. His slideshow and handouts showed his amazing work and he talked about how they had a 100% success rate in getting the children off of medications and their grades improved. All through carefully orchestrated foot rubs! How wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Delightful! I used to practice on my son, who was 10 at the time I took the course. He loved Reflexology, and had the following comment:"After my footdoing, I feel in my absolute prime. Everything feels clean and flowing smoothly".
    My son was one of those special kids (hyper-sensitive yet persistent, with some learning difficulties ) who later got a diagnosis of ADD slapped on him.
    BS, but that is another topic.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.